Mou Waho Island 1/2 day Adventure ~ Eco Wanaka Adventures
Meet the Wekas! and plant a Tree! Our swift, comfortable, enclosed cabin boat will get you there with ease. Direct bookings only, by phone or email.
Come and see what Mou Waho Island has to offer. See the Lake on the top of an Island on your walk to the top of the island! Stunning 360 degree views. Meet the Wekas and help us plant a tree on Mou Waho island to enhance our beautiful backyard. A half day tour with refreshments supplied. A great trip for families.
– Minimum of 2 Adults (Children 0-3 years are free of charge)
– Maximum 8 persons can be inside the cabin. (can take 4 more persons seated outside the cabin).
A visit to Mou Waho Island offers the perfect combination of a lake cruise, nature walk, wildlife encounter & outstanding panoramic views. Thirty minute cruise takes us to this nature reserve, situated in the middle of Lake Wanaka surrounded by stunning alpine vistas.
Once on Mou Waho Island your eco guide points out the varied native plant and birdlife including the rare Buff Weka, a very inquisitive flightless bird, (extinct on mainland NZ since 1920)
A one hour return guided bush walk is included, which takes you up to reveal the island’s secret – a serene lake right on top of the island! Unique and very photogenic (Optional). Or you can just sit back, relax and enjoy the birdlife at the beach and shelter at the island base with your own morning or afternoon tea.
We have “High Tea” on top of the island overlooking both of these lakes, where you can drink in the vibrant birdsong and the panorama of the Southern Alps spread out before us.
Plant a native tree as part of your eco-experience. Mou Waho is a place we love dearly, and are we are proud to say that we have planted over 8000 trees on Mou Waho Island over our our 14 years of operation. This is a unique opportunity to give back to this special island and New Zealand’s environment.
Chris Riley and the Eco Wanaka team have been exploring, restoring and taking guests touring on magical Mou Waho Island for well over a decade. Join Us!
- Trips depart: 9am or 1.30pm from the Jetty next to the Marina, see the Meeting Place Map below (Or by arrangement)
- Trip duration: 3.5 to 4 hours
- Total walking time: 1 hour
- Refreshments: morning or afternoon tea provided
- Requirements: good walking shoes/boots, suitable layers of clothing, waterproof jacket
- Grade: average fitness
- Season: all year
- EWA Cancellation Policy
- Adults $265 (Minimum 2 Adults) Children $180 (4-14 years) Infants 0-3 years are free of charge
- Prices are valid: 1 October 2023 – 30 September 2024
Mou Waho Island Tour & Nature Walk
Boat cruise to the remote and magical Mou Waho Island nature reserve, which is predator–free and home to the rare flightless Buff Weka (extinct on the mainland since 1920).
Click here or on map to download large view on pdf for viewing or printing
(+) click on thumbnail below for larger image and slideshow